Monday 16 September 2013

Thankyou!


Gidyup!  Well this week has been one of recovery, eating and relaxing!  Life has been good but I tell ya, I cannot wait to get back to training!  The body has been pretty darn good, only having some swelling in my feet and tender ankles.  It has been lovely to kick back, reflect on the journey that was and look forward to what is to come. 

I think in running and in life in general it’s important to continue to set ourselves goals.  Not minimising the ones we are currently striving for, but having something, once the current one is achieved, to look forward to….more on that in a bit.

A couple of things will remain with me from the 100miles of fun I had last weekend.  Firstly, 100miles is not that far!  Ha!!!!  I don’t really mean that literally cause it is a BLOODY long way, but everything is relative.  If you try and think about any big goal in life (business, sport, relationally, whatever) and focus on the end dream it will seem insurmountable.  However, if you break it down, in my case, one aid station, one hour, one km, one step at a time, the rest will take care of its self.  By doing this during the race, I never thought about the hectic distance I was covering, just at the most, about an hour ahead.

Secondly, if you wanna race far, YOU HAVE TO RUN A LOT IN TRAINING!  This stems back to a blog I wrote a while ago about it being trendy at the moment to try and do less and less but still achieve big goals.  A lot of people these days seem to want to take the easy road yet still perform on the big stage.  I don’t really get it but let me tell ya something…if you want to achieve something in life you HAVE to put in the hard work!  With running ultra marathons, that means running… and running A LOT!  Rocket science I know but you would be surprised at the amount of people that think they can run 100miles without doing much physical, mental or emotional preparation.

Thirdly, something that I already knew VERY well, but trail running is beautiful!  To me, it is like being in the ocean…both are the times when I feel closest to God.  When running a beautiful single track, free, un-hindered, liberated, my spirit sores and every burden is lifted and nothing else matters.  I live for these moments and am so so greatful for every second I get to spend in this environment.  I desire more and more of these experiences and hope and pray these experiences will keep coming….and coming frequently!

Lastly, I have been COMPLETLLY overwhelmed by the support I have received through my last blog!  I have so far had over 700views…AMAZING!  I just want to thank you all for your beautiful words, wonderful support and kindness.  I am humbled, blown away and completely stoked that you  all are following my journey.  From the bottom of my heart…THANK YOU! 

So to round things out from the beginning…What next?  Well I have applied for Coast to Kosci!  What’s that I hear you say?  Well it is a 240km race from the coast in Sydney to the highest point in Australia!!!  It is an event that you have to actually apply for, submit a resume and the organisers decide who gets in.  So, I wait with baited breath until the end of September to see if I get in but here’s hoping and praying! 

Thanks again everyone for your love and care you show me!  I want you to know that it means the world to me and I am a blessed man to have you on this crazy journey with me!  Keep smiling friends, love life, rip in, set yourself some big goals and get to achieving them!  Until next time….Run Free, Plant Strong!

1 comment:

  1. "A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step." Another translation from the original Chinese philosopher Laozi might be "The journey of a thousand miles begins beneath one's feet." Rather than emphasizing the first step, Laozi may have regarded action as something that arises naturally from stillness.
    I read this quote only this week. Like you said, goals are achieved through preparation, ground work and taking things one step at a time. Reaching goals is exciting, its so easy to not set them as then you can't fail but there is nothing that makes you feel so alive than achieving a goal you have worked hard for.
    That's my rant, awesome job bro! xo

    ReplyDelete