Sunday 19 June 2011

My name is Mat and I no longer want to be a Clydesdale!

Well this post is to be brutally honest!  As most of you know, I run, alot, however always trying to go further.  Last week was a good one, 115km.  Even so, since I have taken up long distance running a few years back, I have never really felt like a runner because of my weight.  Probably sounds weird to those non-runners, but to those who run, and know what a difference a few kg's can make would understand!  It seems like a constant effort to shed a few kgs in fat to become leaner and leaner!

Since moving to Bundy three years ago, I have lost around 12-14kgs (I used to be really into weight lifting!).  Recently though I seem to be hovering around 88-92kgs, depending on the day, food intake etc.  After reading 'Racing Weight', I realized just how much of a 'clydesdale'/fatty runner I am (a term generally used for runners over 90kg)!  WAY TOO HEAVY!!!

So for some time, I have wanted to get down to 80kg...and after reading the above mentioned book realized that closer to 75kg would be optimal!  I know that this may sound like a large loss, but I KNOW it would benefit me in so many ways, health wise, running wise and overall living wise.  I seem to constantly struggle with overeating and eating junk in big spurts...not good for my health or my running!  NO MORE!

So here is the plan....over the next 12weeks (the amount of time until my next 100km race) I want to get my weight under 80kg's.  This would be an awesome starting point and something I really want to achieve.  The problem I have had as of late is maintaining things.  So, no more!  This is my public declaration to do it, and stay committed!  I will need your help as you all probably know, weight loss is not easy!  So, through my blog, a food journel and the help of my friends, family and fellow weight loss partner, Mandy, I WILL get there!  Weigh ins will be Fridays and Mondays.

That is all on this point, apart from the beginning...91.2kg (stupid body fat measure wouldnt work!).  Oh, and if anyone wants to join me on my 12week jaunt, feel free!!!  Journeys are always funner together!

As a side note and update on the change in running form...my Merrells (minimal shoes) are going well.  I am up to running 6km in them and have started running barefoot again also...slowly building.  My calfs have been quite sore since taking up the minimal running and I have some 'rub' points as I am going sockless, but know it is all part of the process.  Slowly does it!

Thanks for reading...Run on!

2 comments:

  1. Go Matty..Good start to the blog champ! Big ask 80kg...but i know you well enough..!! it is going to happen!!..soon than 12 weeks for sure..go you good thing!..send our love to the ladies timlisasunnyolivia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey best of luck with that Matt, just don't lose too much too quickly. If you're going to be training hard you'll need the energy. I did the same as you about 3 years ago and did it by reducing fat in my diet and avoiding those delicious snacks between meals!! Also the 5 meals a day works well provided you're eating the right stuff.

    If you're doing 100+kms a week and eating well the weight will have to come off. I wouldn't get too set on a set figure as I came from 97kg to 84kg and now to 82kg but no matter what I do, the only way that is going lower is by starvation or amputation! Keep strong first.

    Will be following your progress keenly :)

    ReplyDelete